The Captain of Sarajevo
Duration : 15 minutes
Language : Bosnian, English subtitles
Country of shooting : Bosnia and Herzegovina
Year of production : End of 2015, published 2016.
Genre : Short Documentary / Multimedia Storytelling
Produced by : Veronica Wijaya, Boris Mrkela, Vildana Deljkic
A man who restored a classic car sells it to a scrap yard and gets just enough money to buy a blueprint for a wooden sailing boat. Over the next six years he builds the boat from scratch in his family garden nestled in downtown Sarajevo. With no steady work and income to fall on, this is a story of a man's perseverance, of friendships and alliances, and of the dream of freedom for which he now only needs sails.
Most of the movies produced in the Balkans region are about the war or post war, depicting the point of view of victims’ fate during and in the aftermaths of this war. In this short film I intended to bring a different vantage by telling a story of a individual while pointing the bigger issues Bosnia is currently facing.The man who, with limited resources and with all constraints has been able to keep his dream alive for more than 15 years and make it comes true, whilst coping in a country going through tremendous historic and social changes that deeply affected his life.
- Official selection of 10th Edition of the River Film Festival, 28th of May to 11th of June 2016, Padova, Italy.
• Official selection of Open City Documentary Festival, 21st to 26th of June 2016, London, UK.
• Official selection of SHOTS: International Independent Short Film Festival, 4th to 6th of August 2016, Slovenj Gradec, Slovenia.
• Official selection of the Balkan Film Food Festival, 1st to 6th August 2016, Pogradec Albania.
• Official selection of TrueDoc Film Festival, 8th to 10th September 2016, Ukraine.